Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Arrogant Shall Inherit My Wrath...

Irritation of the afternoon:

A co-worker comes in and asks if I will type a letter up for him. I say yes. He hands me a letter that is for the governor, expressing his desire to serve a second term in an appointed post.

Fine.

I see that the letter is formatted as though written by a grade-schooler. The governor is not properly addressed, nor is his proper, full name used. So, I format the letter in keeping with all of the rules of business correspondence and etiquette. I hand it to him and he proceeds to gleefully point out my "mistakes" - only reading as far as one "mistake" before making me "correct" it, print a new copy and then continue. He was arrogant and completely irritating. I was tempted to explain that I was trying to save him the embarrassment of appearing a total ignoramus to the governor that he was asking to appoint him, but suspected that he would not have taken it well (he was much older than I). Instead I bit my tongue and have been fuming all afternoon...

No comments: