Sunday, January 07, 2007

Discussion ~ Race

Sassette:
OK, I wanted run something by you that has been percolating in my brain for a little while now. The zygote of this musing came into being as a result of the Michael Richards situation, and it has grown into a healthy baby preoccupation from there as I have puzzled over it.
The subject of my musing is the idea of language that is exclusively racist. Is it ever possible to use "racist" language without being racist? Is there a difference between someone who is indeed racist who uses the "racist" language available as verbal extensions of his passionate bigoted beliefs; and someone who is simply angry who uses the most hurtful and insulting language available to cut down, to injure, to vent frustration and rage, but who does not hold those racist beliefs? Can such a person exist?
I guess my question is this: Is it the beliefs a person holds or the language a person uses that determines racism. And if it is the language, does this apply to other forms of bigotry (misogyny, homophobia, ethnic and religious, etc.)?
I have been mulling over why the media and the public immediately discarded the possibility that Michael Richards got very angry with someone (who was black) and used the most convenient and effective language available to hurt the person who had upset him. I am not saying that either way is an "OK" thing to do, but it was never really even considered. He was immediately branded a racist - which he may be. But, would the outburst have been taken as seriously if it had been equally insensitive words aimed at a different target? A woman? A Muslim? A Mexican? A gay person? Would some of these be considered less egregious breaches of the social contract (assuming that the language used was as equally offensive to each group as it was to the black audience member) than others? And if so why? And would he still be considered bigoted and become a social pariah as a result, or would it be chalked up to a loss of temper?
Just wondering what you think. It amazes me the ridiculous things that will take up residence in my brain - often to the detriment of more pressing matters...

Xen:
I understand your 'theory'. My example in the purest sense would be one who didn't know that the language used WAS racist. (When I was a wee lad, I told my sister to "screw" and my father lost his sh** on me because if meant f*** ..... but I only knew it in the way that meant "leave, get out of here). So in the purest example, I believe that a person who is ignorance of what they are saying can utter racist language without being a racist.
The thing of it is: We have to define purely what is a racist.... and by that I mean at what level is something merely "crude" and when is it an indicator of racism - even at the tiniest level. And - as imperfect beings, there is a level of prejudice in everything we do. What level do we tolerate and exclude? If I become angry ... ultimately, explosively angry ... and use the worst swear words ever, or say the most hurtful (but clean) things to someone, then it is considered rude, crude and not permissible ... but acceptable. If someone gets violent, well, we have written laws that say you must curb your behavior or you will be punished and labeled a criminal. If I cannot restrain myself, that is what happens.
And likewise, a person who knows that, say, the "N" word is an indicator of racism (use any example you like) ... but is so mad that they use it ...that they can't restrain themselves ... well, the will suffer those consequences for saying it.
Are they a racist? Well, because those words are associated with racism ... expressions of those people who ARE racist, and you aren't able to restrain yourself - then you must think at some level that it's acceptable to use them.
My mind is trained by either upbringing or self control and learning not to use the certain horrible words in front of people. If I let loose, then I am wrong. I will be ostracized accordingly. There are some people, for example, who will NEVER EVER SAY THE "C" word. EVER. If you come across someone who does, you think of them as being a certain type of person. Suppose someone just snaps and says it, but doesn't usually? It means it's in their head - and it has a meaning ... otherwise they wouldn't be able to quickly come up with it when emotions take over.
Michael Richards knows what those words mean. He was trying to hurt those hecklers.. He saw they were black. He knows that that is a hurtful set of words that are as offensive as any ... Would he have used those same words against white hecklers? No. So his brain made a conscious, differentiating decision. That, I think, points to a level of racism.
By the way, it might be completely ingrained. It might be WAY under the surface. But it's there. That's the problem.
I might be rambling... but this is a very interesting subject, as you have presented it.

Xen Again:
But what about "intent" ?
What about the underlying base belief that ALL people of a certain race (creed, nationality, color, etc) behave a certain way, or should be treated a certain way .... or are inferior, or superior? Isn't THAT racism?
See? That's now different from my earlier rambling argument....

Sassette:
That was more along the lines of my question. If the person's intent is to hurt by using the most hurtful language available, is that person a racist if the most hurtful language available (most hurtful towards the person you want to hurt) is considered racist?
When you mentioned that MR would not have used the same language if the heckler had not been black - I agree. He would have grabbed the most hurtful language available for that person (weight comments for a fat person, etc.). Does it make him a racist that he employed hurtful words that are considered racist? Or is he a racist because only a racist would employ such words?

Xen:
MY HEAD HURTS NOW !!

Sassette:
Sorry. I don't know where this came from. I guess I can trace it back to an old George Carlin routine about how words are neither good nor bad, in and of themselves...

Xen:
Oh, no .. I find it VERY interesting.
These are the discussions that should be going on. Otherwise nothing changes for generations on end.

No comments: